Monday, September 21, 2026

The Twins' long term legacy

 There are many positions in many different markets that have a heralded status. Quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, point guard for the Lakers, center for the Pittsburgh Penguins, those kinds of things. Positions that have a stake because of the history of success for that team, and also because of the popularity and identity of the team within the market. 

The Twins have had a common thread that has remained nearly unbroken throughout my entire life, even as it has bucked trends across the sport of baseball, and has transcended regimes in the Twins organization. I don't believe it is something that has ever been intentional, but the fact that the Twins have featured so many successful African American outfielders is, at the very least, a statistical anomaly.

African American participation in youth baseball, right on up through the Major Leagues has been dropping for decades, and in the meantime, the League has drawn more international players, particularly from the Dominican Republic and Venezuela. The Twins have not followed along with either pattern.

Until Emmanuel Rodriguez arrived on the scene, the Twins' only non-American on the roster was Yoendrys Gomez, which hearkened back to the late 2000s, when a reported factor in Carlos Gomez's stalled development was a lack of Spanish speaking coaches in the organization. 

That's pretty on the nose, but it speaks to a larger point: it's hard to be on your own, and it is a lot easier if you are in a new situation with people you have similarities with, especially when they can serve as mentors. Miguel Sano's best season was when Nelson Cruz was around, Luis Arraez first joined a roster with countrymen Marwin Gonzalez and Ehire Adrianza. 

As a middle aged white guy, I have no idea what it would be like to grow up as a young black ball player, but I bet Byron Buxton does, and before him, Torii Hunter and Ben Revere and Aaron Hicks and all the way to Kirby Puckett and Shane Mack. Coaches can teach fundamentals and strategy, but having someone with a similar background can help you feel comfortable, like you belong and to figure out more important parts of life.

Through the draft, trades and free agency, the Twins have sustained this throughline that was able to include multiple iterations of the "Soul Patrol," and two different stadiums. I think this is pretty cool. I'm mostly here for the statistical anomaly, because I'm not gifted enough to expound on the societal impact and obvious advantages, though there certainly are those, especially in a place like Minnesota. 

I'm not sure that there was any intentionality for the betterment of the Twins, and I am fairly sure there isn't, but this history of black outfielders in the Twins organization has meant a long lasting incubator for talent development that has lasted through multiple generations of Twins general management. What a legacy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment